Global demand gap for platinum, palladium and rhodium
1. 2019-2020 global platinum, palladium and rhodium supply and demand comparison (data source Johnson Matthey February 2021 platinum group metals market report)
||supply in 2019
||demand in 2019
||supply in 2020
||Demand in 2020
2. According to GB18352.6-2016 Limits and measurement methods for emissions from light-duty vehicles（CHINA 6）. All light vehicles sold and registered in China will meet this standard from July 1, 2020, and then automotive exhaust catalytic systems of vehicles need to be upgraded or added. The content of precious metal in these components will be significantly increased. It has further increased demand for platinum, palladium and rhodium.
Why is platinum, palladium and rhodium testing becoming more important?
Precious metal recycling
1. Precious metals are non-renewable resources, the global stock is limited, and they are widely used, and the number of recycling is increasing year by year. Governments around the world strongly encourage and support the precious metal recycling industry
2. The cost of recovery is much lower than the cost of mining
3. At present, many recycling organizations lack authoritative identification and analysis capabilities, and there are many recycling links, which increase recycling costs.
4. The scope of precious metal recycling
a. Waste car exhaust catalysts, spark plugs, etc.
b. Waste precious metal jewelry
c. Waste circuit boards, waste electrical appliances, etc.
Precious metal recovery customer demands
1. The corresponding value of per vehicle in precious metals ranges from $25 to a few hundred dollars. The price of platinum, palladium and rhodium, especially rhodium, continues to rise. Testing accuracy affects customer recovery costs for platinum-based metals
2. High detection accuracy demand
3. Testing fast and safe
4. Reduce costs and improve efficiency
Our product advantages
1. CFAN XRF analyzer is equipped with SDD detector which has higher resolution and more accurate detection
2. We purchased a variety of standard samples of platinum, palladium and rhodium, which can effectively eliminate interference and calibrate measurement results
3. Fully enclosed sample compartment to prevent radiation and protect the health of operators
4. Rapid detection, with results within 60 seconds
Testing Method of Pt, Pd, and Rh in automotive catalyst.
The precious metals in automotive catalyst is coated on ceramic substrate or in metallic substrate with an aluminum oxide wash coat.
It is necessary to make sample preparation, because there is no technique for analyzing non-homogeneous materials such as catalytic converters directly.
The catalysts should be removed the steel case and remain the ceramic with a honeycomb structure with ceramic substrate.
It is better to first shred or mill the metallic substrate of a converter and then to use magnets and winnowing separate precious metals from wash coat powder.
The precious metal content of these wash coat samples is usually much higher than that for milled ceramics.
The materials are pulverized to a maximum 250µm and loaded in XRF sample cups or sample bags for analysis.
The measurement time was 60S. The values of Pt, Pd, and Rh measured with the CFAN A5SDD are shown in Pic 1.
The values of Pt, Pd, and Rh measured with the CFAN A5SDD show excellent agreement with the certified values.